Monday, October 29, 2007

Scattered Through Time: Some Poems

I battle within,
fight an irresistable urge
to
shake-
break-
make
a life arise
from ruins of mediocrity
of habits deep
comfort and charm
of medium happiness
to recreate and watch
a universe unfold,
germinate
from my self
deep.
----------------------------------

On Bus

My soul is lecherous
for him in yellow shirt
dark skin and kohl eyes
curve of the biceps that steer the bus
power of youth, and
that reckless smile,
my soul is lecherous
with memory of that age,
when I desired such desires.
----------------------------------

Aman

My son
his head in clouds
wings bearing him
heavenwards
till star sparks
twinkle from his eyes
raining on us mortals
glimpses of his land.

----------------------------------
Avani

My daughter
gentlest sweet flower
earth born,earth cared
carries in her womb
earth plight,earth pain
reponsibilities
larger than her small frame
can contain.

----------------------------------

Speed

Dawn
Another day of persecution,
excecution of
progress,
development,
ghettos on wheels,
transporting to fate
bleak,
despairing,
hopeless,
resigned,
Mumbai's suburban trains.
----------------------------------

Yesterday
a meteor missed me
cyclone changed its course
earth quaked another ground
a Tsunami spared me.

So, I could log on
and sell
me,my people,my land,
in bits and pieces
to the multinationals
and thus
contribute
to global development
and world economy.
----------------------------------

They said
aim high,
for the skies,
hone your skills
in a colonial language
fashion your clothes,
'cos appearances matter-
aim high for those
imperial controllers of our lives
so they may buy you
a car, bunglow,sushi,wine
while,you piss
on faces of those
that hold you,
aloft,high,
laying roads for your cars,
building your homes ,
growing your crops,
constructing
english medium schools,
so your priviledged progeny
may enjoy your priviledges.
----------------------------------

No comments: