Monday, November 12, 2007

Ecstasy of Abandon-The Sufi Way

Look! This is Love-to fly toward the heavens,
to tear a hundred veils in every wink....

so sang Rumi, whirling in ecstasy, to his love Shamsuddin of Tabriz. And he sang thus many thousand times and over many million moments, inspired, drunken, whirling, dancing, surrendering and abandoning, lost to himself and to the world, lost in his beloved

I am filled with you.
Skin,blood,bone,brain,and soul...

or, again,

Don't hand me another glass of wine.
Pour it in my mouth.
I've lost the way to my mouth.

What insanity, what madness drives a poet to pour such words, jewels that he leaves behind, that continue to inspire many centuries later? Such is the way of the Sufis, and their songs and dance of abandon- seeking the true love, the divine presence residing in ones heart, a seeking which requires abandoning the self.

No comments: