Thursday, October 10, 2013

To Be or Not To Be : Content


To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?

I am tempted between seeking grace of a do-nothing-contentment, versus throw myself into a battlefield of life, and fight - any of its many wrongs. Do I sit in awareness and acceptance of what is, or fight to create what must be, for me, my community, entire world, guided by my own inner compass of what is right and just. Is it really nobler to seek comfort in my insignificance,  futility of a mere individual strife, to find solace in the profound Zen wisdom " I seek only contentment", from the famous Tsukubai at the Ryonji temple, in Kyoto. 

Ideally, and this is usual for me, I would prefer to have it both - to fight, but in grace and awareness, acknowledging the illusionary nature of my quest, my be-ing, this life. I would like to fight, but 
only in the spirit of "karmanye vadhikaraste..", and with a smile inside, in awareness of the fight, and the worlds inside and outside - the dance of the swallows, the falling leaves, and the ephemeral clouds and this transient moment in which 'I' exists. I would like all my parallel journeys to be simultaneously lived - with awareness of them all.


No comments: