Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Shoes and Saraswati

The other day, I went into my son's room to find him reading, leaning back on his chair, his feet - with boots - propped on his desk. And - I freaked out. Totally lost it. I raved and ranted about disrespect shown to learning, knowledge, to Saraswati herself. Now, this is not very usual behaviour for me. My son went quiet and followed my instructions to touch the table with his right hand, and then to his forehead in an act of repentance, seeking forgiveness. I behaved as my Mom would - and thought I was teaching my son lessons in value systems, cultural and traditional.

This was about a month back. I have since carried the incident in my head and wondered about respecting - learning, feet, hands, everything. Usually the learning that we are all taught to respect is done with our heads and via the medium of books. Saraswati - the goddess of learning is represented by the written word, and her Veena. And of course, it is good to respect these. My wondering has however led to a series of questions.

Are things learnt with head, better than things learnt with one's hands? I remember a New Year's message years back from a friend " Dream with your Hands" .It was a beautiful and unusual wish that I have kept with me since.

Why is touching anything with one's feet considered an offense that can be undone by seeking forgiveness by touching with our forehead. Is the head considered better than the feet, or legs? And why? Again, I remember my great discomfiture when reading Vivekananda. In one section Vivekananda talks of the caste system with the Brahmin represented by the head and the lower castes representing lower parts of our bodies. Is that the origin? Is this the brahmical system of hierarchical categorising that I am propounding, unwittingly, in the name of tradition, culture, and teaching respect.

I now understand that I cannot mechanically ground my kids in the habits of my ancestors. It is ok to not root them in tradition and culture, as long as I root them in their own questioning. What I can teach them, via example,  is a respect for all - all living, all myths, all cultures, all songs, all that sprung from the infinite wealth of natural wonders or from truth and beauty of human creation. I can teach them love, respect and silence.

No comments: