Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Will Not Grieve

"The Earth will continue. Nature will regenerate. The planet will become green again. It's not that 'Life' will end. Life will continue. The question is whether the human species will continue."--Oren Lyons, Native American Chief.

I received this in a mail from a friend this morning. The words echo a similarly growing sentiment within -a quiet voice speaking insistently while I clamor with energy and passion to save trees, preserve forests, rights of species; while I brood at the damages by mines, large dams, highways, malls, airports; while I cry in sisterhood for all those that are forced to forfeit their basic rights to their own lands, lives, livelihoods so that the 'rest' of India may progress. The species that disappear, flora, fauna, and human have no rights, no voice, no place where they may appeal and be heard. So who is one fighting for anyway?? It seems that the voice of the environmentalists is the voice of the privileged, who usually cannot do without the urban comforts that they enjoy, which have been gained at an enormous cost (to others). Thus there appear to be two groups, a group of educated, wealthy urbanite who enjoy the fruits of all types of natural destruction in their comfortable homes, lifestyles. The others, whose lives are lived more in connection and balance with nature, who would give almost of anything to swap places with the first group. It is a subset of the privileged group that are self appointed guardians of rights - rights of humans, animals, plants, earth - as long as their own rights are not jeopardised. They can foresee the dangers of unrestrained development, progress, that will directly impinge on their lifestyles. Less trees, higher temperatures, more traffic, pollution if more people are allowed 'unrestrictedly' to swarm to their cities, drive cars like them, have enough money and comforts to consume happiness, like them. It is to this group of urban ecologists that I belong.

So are people like me mouthing environmental concerns, really fighting for their own rights to maintain 'restricted memberships' for a privileged few? What would we give up for preserving precious nature?? Would we not commute to work, take a lesser paid job, not make large houses of bricks, not enjoy weekend trips by car, not grow lawns, waste water, use power, not cave in to Ugadi sales, not accept plastics?? What would we go without so the trees may live, flowers bloom, bees drone in the warm sun? For, it is all connected. What small things would we do without, before we march with banners against widening roads, cutting trees for human rights of more people to drive more cars, windows rolled up, aircon on?

Trips to remote places around the country have taught me this much- the real guardians of environment wear this honour with burden, as shackles. They view their high mountains, unsoiled air, clear water, with a careless indifference of the familiar. They are eager to imitate people from the plains, live in large ugly congested cities with flea-infested foodstalls, cinemas, shops, the million sparkles of plastic trinkets, the multi-coloured lights of their nights. I travel to their world to view the uninterrupted band of Milky Way, the colored rocks under their crystal streams, to breathe deeply and feel the heady pleasure of the chilled mountain air; I am enthralled by their dark nights, transparent days; they only want a twenty four hour uninterrupted power supply.

Should I fight that their world remain unchanged? their nature remain pristine, their wildlife be saved from extinction? So I might take an occasional break from my comfortable life to foray into their world? Yes, I shall fight, like all others, for what is truly beautiful, rare and precious to me, my life, our generation of urban misfits. I shall cry hoarse that a tree not be axed, a lake not be filled, a forest not destroyed. I shall loudly proclaim for my right to preserve my rights.

But...I shall not grieve, when green canopies no longer shelter our world, when turquoise lakes dry, when hot air singes and lungs gasp at each filthy breath. I shall not grieve when we convert open greens into termitic colonies of crude concrete or waterways into stenchy gutters of dark murk. I shall not grieve, that more others have joined my neighborhood, my rank, my club of privileged living with flush toilets, lawns, cars, malls and lots of plastic bags - I will patiently wait for the day when they once again look towards the stars.


1 comment:

Gowru said...

life goes around in circles, change is the only thing that's constant in this life,
I was born and brought up in a small village/ town, moved to a city in my twenties, and now when i've crossed fifty, dream of going back to the village with all the greenery around which is fast diminishing, at the same time do not want to let go of my foothold in the city! I know of many people like me who want to have the best of both the worlds.