Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Gift

It is a matter of continued surprise, even disbelief, how so often events in my life conspire, stars align, Gods smile and universe presents me an unexpected gift, a manna from heavens, that changes the course of my life - instantaneously, irrevocably, completely.

I have been living through just such an internal revolution, rearrangement, refocus, over this last week. Shabnam Virmani is the angel, the messenger, the universal sign, who landed at my doorstep on the wings of poetry, riding winds of music, songs, priceless gems accumulated, tasted, sifted, sorted over large spaces, and over long years - distilled into a perfect gift, a nectar, available for all who care, dare to sip, transform. She gave us 'Kabir' - the saint poet of fifteenth century, through voices across gender, caste, religion, crossing boundaries, individual, social, national, following his voice, his words, his music into the internal realms of spirit, solitary and also universal.

I have been riding this wave, in wonder and awe, revelling in its joy, forgetful of myself and my place, my sorrows and my angst, my daily connections, bounded sense of chores, duties, responsibilities. I have been riding this wave with scattered snatches of poetry in my head, following an escaping lyric, reaching for a haunting song slipping from my lip. I ride this wave, on a free ride, leading god knows where, and to what purpose...do I seek? what do I seek? why do I ride? to where? Right now, it is just for the pure joy of it - a tasting of vintage freedom, a peek into infinity of self. The only thing to wonder, will I ever get off this ride? I don't know, I don't care to know - for now, I just sit back, relax, enjoy.

No comments: