Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sentuk- A Friend

I cannot be called an 'animal lover' in any strict sense- or at least how the word is usually interpreted-I do not have any space in my life for pets. I think pets - other people's pets-are best ignored, left alone. I don't remember ever having petted a 'pet', and have, so far, successfully and determinedly resisted my daughter's persistent efforts to get a pet home- a camel, a rabbit, dogs, cats....my strong preferance for animals is in the wild, and my attitude to domesticated animals is pragmatic.

So, it came as a complete surprise to me to take fancy to Sentuk-the pet dog in the guest home in Leh. I think my initial interest was piqued when the hosts were surprised at Sentuk's geniality and courtesy in my presence-Sentuk was known in the neighborhood to be ill tempered, ferocious and entirely hostile to all outsiders -he was barely civil to his owners, resisting efforts to be fondled, refusing invitation to a warm kitchen, or extra left over food.

Initially Sentuk and I acknowledged each other, just politely...I would call out "Hey Sentuk" to which he gave a tiny single wag of his tail, a minimal baring of his mouth in a short smile. However, quickly this relationship became a full fledged friendship. Sentuk would be sitting at his usual place on the terrace, overlooking the road with passing people, dogs, yaks, donkeys and the great mountains beyond. When I neared and opened the gate, he would give a short happy laugh-bark and rush down the stairs at full speed. He always went for my gloves first-a short game that we played where he would prance around trying to nip them off my hands; I sometimes let him win and then he would loose interest in the glove and return back to continue a game with me. I would by now be sitting on a little bench outside, removing my shoes, to enter the home, when he would nuzzle and furrow into me to lie with his head on my lap. I accepted this fondly, for a little bit, before saying " enough Sentuk" and get up. I would wonder at my truly surprising, almost shocking, acceptance of Sentuk's affection- was it because I was away from my family for so long? was it that lack of affection in my life, so far from home? but no, I wasn't missing anyone or anything-in fact, I was happy, content. I knew even then, it was Sentuk who was different, a kindred spirit, a new found friend - and just accepted him as such.

No comments: